There’s often many misconceptions that tantra principle is only about sex. In contrast, you will discover that tantra and yoga share many similarities in pursuing inner peace, harmonious energy, and higher spiritual experience.
Tantric techniques introduce a whole new world of sensual pleasure via emotional and spiritual experiences. It uses exercises like breathing, massage, yoga, and meditation.
Tantric yoga is not about satiating sexual desires, though it does provide a healthy benefit of increased pleasure. It was founded on searching for a deeper and more intimate connection and energy within ourselves.
In this article, we’ll understand the principles and philosophy of tantric yoga. We’ll also look into how it will benefit you and your relationships. We’ll even go through some positions and techniques you can try. I hope you enjoy it!
What Is Tantric Yoga?
Tantric yoga is a form of yoga that focuses on meditation and harnessing one’s energy. It combines meditative and yogic practices into a spiritual tantric experience. More than an exercise, it’s a purposeful approach to being aware of your mind, body, and energy. It aims to celebrate the body as a temple and increase your inner self-awareness.
Tantric yoga focuses on the shakti, which means “power.” According to Rod Stryker, founder of ParaYoga and one of the preeminent yoga, tantra, and meditation instructors in the United States, tantric yoga awakens the shakti in our lives.
He said incorporating tantra therapy into yoga leads to many benefits. He explained, “You can experience more faith and less fear in general. Instead of feeling anxious, you can enjoy increased confidence in all aspects of your life. It’s through the tantra practice that these things really start to unfold.”
Tantric yoga makes us aware of the power of energy within us. It can be done on your own or with a partner. Read more below to learn how tantric yoga can benefit you and your relationships.
What Are The Benefits Of Tantric Yoga?
Tantric yoga is more than an exercise but a spiritual, sensual experience. Here are some benefits you can experience from tantric yoga.
1. Lowers Stress & Anxiety
Tantric yoga uses breathing techniques and long phases of deep relaxation. It aims to calm and shut the mind from the world so that you can reconnect with your inner self.
Studies show that the meditation techniques used in tantra yoga could slow down your heart rate and lower your EEG brainwaves, which are linked to depression and anxiety. The breathing exercises reduce your stress hormones and activate the parasympathetic system, bringing you into a relaxed state.1
Read More: Best Acupressure Points For Depression
2. Enhances Mental Clarity
Tantric yoga involves meditation to help clear your mind and keep you focused. Moving and meditating could improve your mental and spiritual state. Hence, it boosts the overall health of your body and mind.
As you let go of negative thoughts and search for your inner self, you experience a sense of clarity and tranquility. You suddenly learn to look at things more profoundly.
3. Helps Restore Balance in Your Chakras
Chakras are energy points that aim to make your body, mind, and consciousness work harmoniously together. Tantric yoga can restore disturbances in your chakra by bringing back your energy flow. It aligns your chakras as you let go of negative and depressive thoughts.
4. Improves Overall Health
Like any form of yoga, tantric yoga renews your vitality and boosts overall health. With tantric’s spiritual and sensual techniques, you enhance your body’s balance and well-being.
Tantric yoga uses stimulation to harness the sexual energy to improve your blood flow and make you stronger to fight ailments. The stretching exercises increase your flexibility, so you can move more and do your activities better. It also helps burn calories and reduce body aches.
5. Deepen Your Bond
Tantric yoga can also deepen your bond, not just with your partner but also with your inner self. As you practice meditation and sensual techniques, you learn what your body likes and what it can do.
Practicing tantric yoga with a partner could also strengthen your relationship. As you find out more about each other’s bodies, you gain trust, and your energies align, connecting you both on a spiritual and emotional level.
Similar Article: Tantric Meditation For Couples
The 5 Best Tantric Yoga Poses To Try Alone
You can practice tantric yoga on your own. Remember to clear your mind and be in a comfortable place. Be open with what your body tells you. Here are 5 tantric poses you can try alone.
1. Mountain Pose
This pose increases your body awareness and alignment.
- Begin by standing with your feet hip-width apart and firmly on the ground.
- Slightly spread your arms at your side with your palms facing upward.
- Engage your legs by bringing your shins together and lifting your upper thighs.
- Keep your back straight.
- Take a deep breath in and lift your ribs forwards.
- Upon your exhale, lower your arms. Take 10 to 15 deep breaths.
2. Chair Pose
This pose improves your breathing and will build heat in your core.
- Place your feet hip-width apart on the floor.
- Take a deep breath and raise your arms overhead.
- Draw your navel closer to your spine as you exhale.
- Sit back and bend your knees as if you were in a chair.
- With your weight in your heels, take 3 to 5 deep breaths.
- Recover your balance and slowly stand up. Repeat 5 to 7 times.
3. Corpse Pose
This pose may appear to be the easiest, but the challenge is maintaining effortless relaxation and awareness. It aims to take you into a deep state of silent consciousness.
- On a yoga mat, lay down on your back.
- Allow your hips to relax by opening your legs wide enough.
- Relax your chest and shoulders by opening your arms wide, palms up.
- Relax and take deep breaths. Be careful not to fall asleep.
- Continue to hold this position for at least 5 minutes.
You May Also Like: The 10 Best Books On Tantra
4. Warrior I
This pose builds your self-confidence and works on your chest and hips.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Step forward with your right foot a few feet ahead of your left foot.
- While keeping your left leg straight, bend your right knee to align with your heel.
- Your right foot should be facing forward, and your left foot should be facing out.
- Pull your shoulder blades together and straighten your arms over your head.
- Then, stretch your arms up as high as possible to open your chest.
- Hold this pose for up to 1 minute. Repeat on the other side.
5. Wide-Legged Standing Forward Bend
This relaxing pose stretches and strengthens your legs and spine.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Step each foot out to the side to form a letter V with your legs.
- Bend forward slowly and place your hands on the floor.
- Bend your elbows gently and place your head between your legs.
- Repeat 5 to 7 times.
The 5 Best Tantric Yoga Poses To Try With Your Partner
Practicing tantric yoga with a partner builds a deeper and more intimate connection. You can modify the poses a bit to allow for more prolonged eye contact and touching. Here are some poses you can try:
1. Boat Pose
This pose works on your core muscles while fostering trust and confidence in your partner.
- Sit facing each other with your legs in front of you, and your knees slightly bent.
- Reach for each other’s hands outside of your legs and keep eye contact.
- Connect with your partner by putting the soles of your feet against each other’s while bending your knees.
- Hold each other’s hands and as you slowly lean back.
- Push your feet against your partner’s feet as you slowly straighten your legs upward to the ceiling.
- Slowly bend your knees again while keeping your feet touching.
- Move your legs apart in a straddle to deepen the stretch and connection.
- You can change this pose to fit your level of comfort and flexibility.
2. Yab Yum Pose
This pose is a classic tantric yoga position that represents the union of Shiva and Shakti, the two divine energies of masculine and feminine. It encourages bonding and intimacy and is a common tantric sex position as well.
- Have your partner cross their legs and sit on the floor.
- Then wrap your legs around their back and sit on their thighs.
- Wrap your arms around your partner and place your forehead against theirs.
- Harmoniously inhale and exhale in slow, deep breaths.
- Both of you can close your eyes, or you can maintain eye contact.
3. Hand-on-Heart Pose
You can do this pose while sitting down before going to bed or lying down at the start of the day. It’s a great way to feel relaxed and sensual.
- Sit cross-legged in front of your partner.
- You can also have your partner lie on their back while you’re lying slightly above them.
- Without saying anything, look into each other’s eyes.
- You can each place your palm over your partner’s heart and feel their heartbeat.
- Concentrate on your slow and harmonious breathing.
- Deeply inhale, feeling each other’s energy and concentrating on your partner’s heartbeat. You can switch positions.
4. Dancer’s Pose
This pose focuses on touch, eye contact, and balance. As you hold each other as if in a dance, you can feel each other’s energy.
- Begin by standing facing each other and holding your partner’s hands.
- Using the other hand, grab onto your ankle or shin.
- Slowly raise your leg towards the ceiling as far as possible while leaning towards your partner.
- Place your hand on your partner’s shoulder.
- It is essential to maintain eye contact while performing this pose.
5. Seated Twist
This pose works on your flexibility and fosters a connection with your partner.
- Begin the pose by crossing your legs while seated back-to-back.
- Put your left hand on your right knee and your right hand on your partner’s left thigh.
- Your partner should take the same position.
- Inhale while stretching your spine and exhale while twisting.
- Hold for 4 to 6 breaths, then untwist and repeat on the opposite side.
I hope you enjoyed our article on tantric yoga poses! While tantric therapy is often known for sensual pleasure, it’s actually an emotional and spiritual experience of connecting with one’s inner self.
Tantric yoga aims to create harmony, tranquility, and confidence in all areas of your life. Practicing tantric yoga by yourself or with a partner offers many benefits. It keeps you healthy—physically, emotionally, and spiritually. It’s a way for you to boost your self-awareness and confidence. Even your partner can benefit from the connection and bond you can share with them.
Over time, tantric yoga can help you understand yourself better and find new meaning and purpose in your life. So, grab your yoga mat and start this liberating experience!
If you want to try more Tantric practices, feel free to check out our article about Yoni Massage.